Monday, July 29, 2013

The toast that I didn't give when I acquired a brother-in-law.

I wanted to propose a toast at my sister's wedding, but I hadn't told anyone about it, and I decided I couldn't quite trust myself after a couple of glasses of wine. I very frequently have issues in placing a filter between my thoughts and my mouth, so I have been known to make a complete tit of myself. The last thing I wanted to do was to make a tit of myself and to embarrass anyone else by giving, ultimately, an impromtu speech in front of two dozen people. But if I had stood up and spoken, these were some things that I would have wanted to say.

I would have wanted to recall how R and I spent afternoons teasingly giggling about how we were "already planning L and A's wedding" when they had only been together a few months. Because the thing is, we weren't just blindly giggling and being teenager-ish (though, admittedly, in hindsight, that too). Rather, sometimes, when two people know, it is so obvious that such giggling and planning is not uncalled for, because it is simply exciting.

I would have said how A.A. Milne's 'Us Two' always makes me think of them, probably because of something L said to me early on in their relationship: "I wasn't afraid," said Pooh, said he, "I'm never afraid with you." L is entirely confident and incredible when she is not with A. With him, she becomes even more so; so it is delightful to see how much they complement one another.

I would have remembered how early on in their relationship, L failed a test, and was rather upset. R and I tried to cheer her up with Starbucks and 10 Things I Hate About You and more cups of tea, to little avail. And then A simply said, "Look, I know - we all know - you are the most intelligent person in the room" with a hug. And that was enough. This would not be a criticism of tea in moments of need, but rather that the right person at the right time can make anything okay. And that A has always been so, so proud of her.  

I'd have wanted to say how happy I am to see how happy they make one another; how nice of a relationship they have. How relaxed they are with each other and with others. How lovely it is to see them go off on adventures together; and how happy I hope that they will keep being. I would have told them that I am so pleased that A can put up with mum and me, when we are our delightfully loopy selves; and embrace them because they are just part of L's life, and do so with enthusiasm and good spirit. And I would have wished them a mountain of happiness and a lifetime of laughter.

Here's to their next adventure and their lifetime together.

No comments:

Post a Comment